Hero Headlines: Sharing Our Stories Through Our NOT Secret Identities

Safe. Respectful. Responsible.

Greetings, Meadow Brook Partners!

Mr. Rogers carried a note in his pocket that said, “There isn’t anyone you couldn’t learn to love once you’ve heard their story!”

Wise words.  In fact, it never fails.  Once you take the time to get to know someone a world of potential for positive interactions, progress, and compassion opens up.

Our MBE Staff is studying Sara Ahmed’s new book, “Being the Change: Lessons and Strategies to Teach Social Comprehension.”

Mrs. Ahmed tells us that, “self exploration is not always an easy topic,” but that engaging in it and sharing can lead us to, “see the humanity in one another.”

Wise words, too.

The Meadow Brook staff has been using our “Meadow Brook Hero NOT Secret Identity Maps” for this purpose.

Mine isn’t finished, but here’s a look at the progress I’ve made so far:

You can see that I wrote my name in the middle and surrounded it with insights about who I am.  It’s messy, but maybe you can see the words HUSBAND, DAD, PRINCIPAL, OPTIMISTIC, READER, WRITER, and so on.

Here’s a blank “Meadow Brook Hero NOT Secret Identity Map” – My Meadow Brook Hero Not Secret Identity Map

I invite you to join us in sharing your story, about you, through your lens.  We will be posting these maps at school.  If you are willing, we would love to post yours along with ours.

Please feel free to design one for yourself at your convenience and drop it off in my mailbox so that I can add your story into the mix on behalf of our diversity and inclusion journey and it’s positive impact on the kids we serve.

If you’re more comfortable sharing your story in another way, that works too.  Maybe even a simple conversation with another parent, a staff member, or me when you have a moment.

Let’s keep sharing with one another as much as possible so that we can continue working together to make sure Meadow Brook remains the best place in the world for kids to learn and grow!

Let’s do so with open hearts and open minds.

Touch base with any questions.

Thank you for your patience and your partnership…in it together for the kids!

Wishing you a joyful weekend,

Seth

Seth E. Berg

Principal

Meadow Brook Elementary

Call: (248) 726 -4101

Click: sberg@rochester.k12.mi.us

My Reflective Journey: Berg’s Eye View