MBE Student Placement Process And Parent Input Form

Meadow Brook Elementary School

2019 – 2020 School Year Student Placement Process

One of the most important processes we engage in as a staff is class placement for your children. At this time of year I meet with classroom teachers, our Learning Consultant, ancillary and special education staff, and support staff to organize preliminary placements for the upcoming school year. 

Our staff receives numerous questions about this process. To help you understand the procedure, the following are answers to the most frequently asked questions.  

If you have further questions, please contact me at sberg@rochester.k12.mi.us so that we can schedule some time to talk.  

Thank you for your patience and your partnership…in it together for the kids! 

With gratitude,

Seth

Seth E. Berg – Principal

Meadow Brook Elementary

Rochester Community Schools

How are students placed in classes?

Students are grouped in classes to achieve as much balance as possible.  

We seek to ensure that classes are balanced according to gender, and that a variety of academic ability levels are represented. These considerations allow us to configure classes that foster a rich and stimulating environment for all students. Individual consideration is given to academic needs, learning styles, along with social-emotional growth and development essentials.

Classroom teachers provide much of the foundational input, and throughout the process placements are organized and refined with the support of our Learning Consultant, our ancillary and support staff, and the special education team, and then finalized by the principal with input from parents.

When will placement be finalized?

Placement will be finalized and communicated shortly before our World of Welcome (WOW) introduction event, just before the start of the school year (official date to come). 

Events that take place over the summer may make it necessary to add a classroom, change teaching personnel, or revise the make-up of a particular class.  These factors may make it necessary to change class placements through the end of August and even in the beginning of September. 

Should parents submit written information about their child’s placement needs?

This is not generally necessary. 

While I certainly welcome parent input, classroom teachers and our school staff are extremely familiar with how individual children learn. Throughout the placement process our staff uses that familiarity to build balanced classrooms for the upcoming school year.

If you have specific educational information that you feel we may not have, please feel free to share it by clicking here: MBE Student Placement Process 2019/2020 – Parent Input Form

Please do not request to have your child placed with a specific teacher. Given the number of students we serve at Meadow Brook I am simply unable to accept requests for specific teachers.  

That said, I will make myself available to exhaust the dialogue around your child’s/children’s needs.

Should I notify the school if my child is not returning to Meadow Brook for the 2019-2020 school year?

Yes, please notify us as soon as possible by contacting our main office and speaking with the principal’s secretary.  Mrs. Legree can be reached at (248) 726 – 4100.

When will students and parents be notified of class placements?

In accordance with district procedures, individual student assignments will be posted on ParentVUE and Welcome Back letters will be posted on the given teacher’s website prior to our World of Welcome (WOW!) Celebration at the beginning of the school year.

Optional Pupil Placement Information Form is attached and also is available in the office. Due date is  June 1, 2018.

*If you are unable to complete the placement form by June 1st please e-mail an extension request directly to me.

*Please note that while I will do all I can to work with you at any time, requests made after the close of the school year (especially into the fall) are extremely difficult to manage and rarely able to be fulfilled.